A Student-Led Response to
School Shootings & Violence
On March 20th, the Prichard Committee Student Voice Team will host a March for Our Lives KY Student Teach-In at the Kentucky State Capitol to highlight the issue of student safety and school climate in the context of recent school shootings and threats in Kentucky and across the country.
- The day of action is part of the larger March for Our Lives rallies organized by the survivors of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, Florida.
- The Student Voice Team will lead a Teach-In to support participants to have informed opinions about school safety and climate and activation strategies in the afternoon.
- The Teach-In seeks to empower students, teachers, parents, and the community to organize around the issue of ensuring student safety and a positive school climate.
- Students will lead the trainings and provide strategies for:
- Organizing mass events
- Understanding school culture and violence
- Meeting with legislators
- Generating social media support
- Amplifying student stories so policymakers can hear them.
- Youth and adult organizers of local rallies are encouraged to attend.
- People wishing to attend the Teach-In are asked to register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- After the Teach-In, the Student Voice Team will host a rally on the steps of the Capitol to call on policymakers to take action to reduce violence in Kentucky schools.
The Student Voice Team supports students to be full partners in the work of the Prichard Committee for Academic Excellence, an independent statewide organization that mobilizes citizens to improve Kentucky Schools.